The long way to......

essays about my daily life. It will be something about India since it makes me happy and bothers me a lot.

Monday, May 15, 2006

what a real educator is....

I found an interesting story from The Hindu, Metro Plus, this morning. An English translated book called “A life less ordinary” written by a domestic servant originally in Bengali is published. Urvashi Butalia is a translator. (Butalia is a founder of a publisher; Kali for women and writer of “The other side of silence” which deals with violence against women during the Partition.)


According to the article, the book was born like this. Her employer who owns many books including Bengali written books one day asked her whether she would like to read books. Since she could read and write, she soon started reading many books. One day, he gave her a notebook and pen and recommended her to write something…..


The most interesting part was that this employer is Pradodh Kumar, the grandson of Premchand!! Wow…..He was a professor. I think he is a real educator. I would like to read out this story to many of teachers of JNU.

2 Comments:

Blogger ... said...

with you all the way...wil even help read it out to professors at JNU, minus my guide though..he's real.. hey about the call centre job, maybe i could join you when you start working there...

8:59 AM  
Blogger aya said...

I think real educator is the one who can inspires students. My guides in Japan could do it. ( I took it for granted and did not appreciate it...) Maybe...I was unlucky or lucky to see how profs are not so good.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home